Water Supply Update

It Rained, It Snowed! Locally We Still Haven't Recovered 



This year we’ve had record rain and snow!  California’s snowpack levels are above normal and the rain has helped pull much of California out of a drought. This is good news for our imported water supply that comes from Northern California. But below the surface, in our local groundwater basins, the effects of extreme drought persist. One year of wet weather won’t erase the previous seven years of dry weather that have severely impacted our local groundwater basins. Unfortunately, when it comes to groundwater it will take many slow, soaking rains for the water to filter through the ground.  

Where Does My Water Come From?



Nearly 60 percent of our water is imported from the California Bay Delta and the Colorado River aqueduct.  It travels over 500 miles through a series of tunnels, aqueducts and pipelines to reach us.  The remaining 40 percent of our water supply is from our local groundwater basins.  The District also uses water in Vail Lake as part of its recharge for the groundwater basin. Vail Lake's water level is currently at 35% of normal operating capacity. 

District In Stage 3c


In order to protect our groundwater supply, the District currently anticipates it will remain in Stage 3c of the Water Shortage Contingency Plan until further assessment of the groundwater and other local water supplies can be made at the end of the year. The Board of Director’s will carefully review the results of the groundwater assessment and determine how to move forward in 2020.  

Stage 3c gives residential and landscape customers their full Tier 1 and Tier 2 efficient budgets and Tier 3 (the inefficient tier) is eliminated. Therefore, customers who go over their efficient budget will go directly into Tier 4 and pay the highest price for water.  The additional funds being paid at the Tier 4 rate go directly to capital projects that enhance and build resiliency in our local water supply and water storage capacity that help protect us against the next drought.

For additional information related to Stage 3c, please click here for the District’s Water Shortage Contingency Plan information.

Current Drought Status

Currently in Stage 3c
Residential and Landscape Customers Tier 3 Water Budgets are Eliminated. Rolling water budgets continue to be suspended; No variances or adjustments will be approved for filling swimming pools, establishing or expanding landscape area, leaks not repaired within 48 hours, and existing outdoor water budgets.

RCWD is closely monitoring the water supply situation and will provide additional information as the District implements mandatory water efficiency measures. 

Additional Information and Resources


State and Federal Information

Conserve Water

Report Water Waste

Water Saving Rebates

Frequently Asked Questions

Reservoir Levels